According to the Dayton Daily News, Conner Betts who fatally shot 9-innocent people including murdering his own sister, and wounding over two dozen others, in the wee hours Sunday morning, was pro-gun control.
This astounding piece of information comes from the 24-year-old gunmen’s friend, an individual named El-Fakir. A former classmate of the shooter who says Betts was “anti-Second Amendment” and “never spit out a conservative opinion on gun control.”
The deceased gunmen opened fire on a popular Dayton neighborhood of trendy bars and restaurants frequented on weekends by young party goers was killed by police in less than 60-seconds after his brief rampage outside a crowded bar.
According to El-Fakir his former high-school chum never showed any signs of hostility towards anyone, until about 5-months ago when he suddenly put a gun to his head. El-Fakir admitted that he was so freaked out by the incident, that he stopped associating with Betts.
Moreover, within the last months of their friendship, El-Fakir said his troubled friend was getting violent with pals and surveyed bars as good places to do “damage.”
Betts and El-Fakir both attended Bellbrook High School, where Betts was reportedly suspended after a list of names was found scrawled on a bathroom wall in a school restroom, described as a “hit-list” which also included the name of a female student he wanted to rape.
These revelations (if true), suggests that Betts was a lot more unhinged then El-Fakir either recalls or perhaps imagined.
“There was a kill list and a rape list, and my name was on the rape list,” one female classmate told the Associated Press.
She recalled receiving a phone call from a police officer who informed the then-freshman and former cheerleader that her name was included on a list of potential targets.
“The officer said Betts wouldn’t be at school for a while,” she said, referring to the boy’s suspension. “But after some time passed he was back, walking the halls. They didn’t give us any warning that he was returning to school.”
According to the AP the discovery of the hit-list on the bathroom wall in 2012, prompted an investigation by police, concluding that there was nothing they could do at the time.
Betts had no apparent criminal record as an adult, though if he had been charged as a juvenile those offenses would typically be sealed under state law.
“There’s nothing in this individual’s record that would have precluded him from getting these weapons,” Dayton Police Chief Richard Biehl said Sunday.
Ironically while 2020 Presidential candidates call for stricter gun control measures, this horrific tragedy could not have been prevented regardless, unless federal and state law concerning juvenile offenses were made public and part of an overall federal background check, which butts-up against an assortment of progressive advocacy groups, including the ACLU.
Moreover while unhinged Democrats including most running for the Presidency condemn the President as racist, accusing mass murders like Betts of somehow being influenced by the President’s bluster, it’s noteworthy to point out that Betts’ political leanings as per his Twitter postings showed that he wasn’t a supporter of President Trump, and actually lamented the 2016 election.
In fact, according to the AP, Betts was a fan of 2020 Democratic contender Sen. Elizabeth Warren. The account has since been taken down.
In the aftermath of the tragedy, Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine has vowed to enact “red flag” legislation that could potentially identify individuals such as Betts before they could purchase any firearms. However as mentioned Betts was a minor at the time, thus his records were sealed from prying eyes, which would have made DeWine’s “red flag” law ineffective.
Moreover, so-called “red flags” concerning El-Fakir’s account of Betts apparently spiraling downward within months of the horrific carnage, simply demonstrates the difficulty in attempting to gauge what someone is about to do, or not do.